State of New Mexico Commission for Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CDHH)
“The BlackBerry smartphone makes it easy for the deaf and hard of hearing to share information and communicate with family, colleagues, friends and neighbors.”Shannon Smith
- Industry: Government and Public Sector
- Region: North America
- Company Size: Small
- Solution: BlackBerry® Accessibility tools, including hearing aid compatibility, extended vibration and Sound-Isolating Headsets
The State of New Mexico Commission for Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CDHH) has a telecommunications equipment distribution program that distributes devices at no cost to qualifying New Mexico residents who are deaf and hard of hearing. Because residents have various levels of hearing abilities, the CDHH was looking for a mobile solution that provided access to email while staying within the restrictions of a government budget.
The CDHH selected the BlackBerry® smartphone for its accessibility, versatility and security. The solution works well with other assisted listening devices and provided residents with the ability to communicate using email, text messaging and instant messaging.
- Consolidation of many technologies and devices into one versatile smartphone platform
- Increased independence and closer contact with friends and family
- Ability to communicate without the assistance of others
- Improved accessibility in the hearing and business world