BlackBerry® 6 makes it easier than ever for users to pursue their passions. They can navigate with ease using intuitive gestures and multitask like crazy with the new application switcher. BlackBerry 6 brings a number of new features to BlackBerry smartphones:
- Intuitive, fluid design
- Social feeds and views
- Fast, rich web browsing
- An engaging multimedia experience
- Universal search
Access over 40 New and Enhanced APIs
With BlackBerry 6, you can build apps more easily than before with over 40 new and enhanced APIs. With these APIs, you can take advantage of the new features in BlackBerry 6 and develop apps that are integrated with the core BlackBerry smartphone apps.
Updated rich UI
Incorporate new menu, tables and tabs APIs
Build dynamic websites, apps and widgets
Integrate with core smartphone apps
Help users find their location
Access development guides
Updated rich UI
Improve your productivity with pre-built UI elements such as pop-up menus, tables, activity progress indicators, pane managers and tool bars. New APIs help you create tables, customize menus and display title bars.
- Build a context-sensitive pop-up menu that displays menu options based on the app’s current use
- Customize tables and lists, and provide different models, including list models, tree models and databases
- Customize menus and submenus
- Provide an area to display the title bar with device information such as the app name, time, battery life, network signal and mail indicators
- Display UI objects that are frequently used actions by inserting them into a tool bar and register a handler for toolbar object events
With the BlackBerry 6 Browser with WebKit, you can build creative, dynamic websites, as well as rich mobile applications or widgets that can be seamlessly integrated with the browser and other native BlackBerry smartphone apps. Plus, all of the WebKit benefits are coupled with the efficiency and security of the BlackBerry platform.
Significant enhancements have been made to almost every aspect of the BlackBerry® Browser:
- Load data and information locally on the BlackBerry smartphone so it can be accessed in the absence of a network connection
- Store the resources required to run your web-based application so the app is always available for use and can be accessed in the absence of an Internet connection
- Create scripts that can run in the background to allow your app to continue running even when the smartphone browser is closed
- Use CSS 3 to create stunning transition images and graphic effects
With the introduction of several new APIs, you can integrate your apps more deeply with all aspects of the BlackBerry smartphone core functionality.
- Unified search provides deep integration and allows users to search the web, third-party apps and their email, calendar and contacts from the smartphone Home screen
- A redesigned mapfield provides easy-to-use, robust in-app mapping
- Customize the look of location data and the size and number of the mapfield
- Use multiple mapfields simultaneously on the same screen
Your app can help users find where they’re going and how long it will take to get there with new Wi-Fi® geolocation and travel time APIs.
- Build apps that leverage the BlackBerry smartphone location based on the wireless network instead of the nearest cell tower
- Obtain local information such as restaurants and shops by leveraging the zip/postal code
- Find addresses by using the contact list, reusing the most recent GPS/geolocation data or getting coordinates from a geocoded photo
- Build ETA information based on anonymous crowd sourced data into your app
- Allow your app to ask for user confirmation before location services are enabled on the smartphone
Access the resources below to help you take advantage of the new features in BlackBerry 6.
- New In This Release — learn about BlackBerry APIs, the BlackBerry smartphone architecture and the new features available in BlackBerry 6
- Data Storage Development Guide — find information on SQLite®, file system and memory management
- Graphics and Animation Development Guide — get started with 2D, 3D and animation APIs for the BlackBerry Application Platform
- Multimedia Development Guide — learn about the key components of the BlackBerry smartphone multimedia APIs and working with audio, video and pictures
- Javadocs — learn more about BlackBerry APIs
- Release Notes
Get the Tools to Start
Access resources to get started
Distribute Your App through
BlackBerry App World
Bring your BlackBerry app
to the BlackBerry App
BlackBerry 10 Jam World Tour
23 Cities, 5 Continents, 3 Months,
1 Focus. Join us and be the first to
develop for BlackBerry® 10!