BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1
The BlackBerry® Java® SDK v7.1 builds upon the APIs and tools released with the BlackBerry Java SDK v7.0. The SDK allows developers to utilize several new key hardware features available on BlackBerry smartphones with 7.1 software, namely, the FM Radio tuner and Near Field Communication (NFC) P2P functionality. APIs have been added in this release to integrate with the new hardware, provide new functionality to developers and resolve some of the existing issues identified by the developer community.
Major new features include
The NFC Peer-to-Peer API allows applications to share files and other data through NFC technology initiated communication with Bluetooth® handover.
The FM Radio API is designed to give applications the ability to manipulate FM tuner settings on BlackBerry smartphones with supporting hardware.
The Profiles API brings more Super App features to applications, allowing them to query current profile settings and adjust their own application behavior accordingly or, conversely, intelligently change the current profile to match the user's current activities.
Other new features included in the SDK
- Magnetometer – calibration changes
- ICCID of SIM
BlackBerry Java SDK v7
Create deeply integrated, graphically rich and contextually advanced mobile app experiences with the BlackBerry Java SDK v7 (updated Sept. 20). New capabilities include AR (Augmented Reality) and Open GL ES 2.0 support. Combine these elements with the BBM™ Social Platform to create an addicting peer-to-peer mobile app experience.
Access new and enhanced APIs
With the BlackBerry Java SDK v7.0 and v7.1, you can develop graphically rich and socially engaging mobile gaming apps, as well as create the latest payment and mobile commerce solutions with the new NFC capabilities. Take advantage of the new and enhanced platform APIs to build rich and engaging apps.
Updated rich graphics
Create a rich mobile gaming experience
Provide a better multimedia experience
Incorporate new menu, maps and compass APIs
Near Field Communication
Create solutions for mobile commerce and payment
Create solutions for the Enterprise
Updated rich graphics
BlackBerry smartphones with BlackBerry 7 OS support accelerated graphics and the Open GL ES 2.0 standard. With the Open GL ES 2.0 Graphics APIs, you can incorporate compelling graphics and create a better mobile gaming experience for your users.
Enhance the multimedia experience in your app with several new APIs:
- Native Window API: display Open GL graphics, UI and information (stats, subtitles, etc.) over native screens such as the camera viewfinder, video, browser and pictures to provide an experience that combines the real and virtual worlds
- HD video recording: users can record stunning videos with a default setting of HD (720p), then share them via MMS with the MMS Mode (176x144)
- Audio Buffering API: allow your app to set the buffer size (in milliseconds) before playback starts
- Audio Bitrate: change and retrieve the audio bitrate during video recording and specify the audio bitrate for AMR codec for video recording
- OpenVG API enhancements: support common OpenVG operations and simplify porting 2D canvas style code to OpenVG
- UDP Multicast API: receive multicast packets and send UDP packets to multiple destinations with a single multicast group ID
Integrate your app with BlackBerry smartphone features with these APIs:
- Magnetometer (Compass) API: detect magnetic fields in your app to determine the smartphone's direction and orientation relative to the real world
- Send Menu API: provide a "Send..." menu and allow users to share your app content with contacts the same way that core BlackBerry smartphone apps do
- Geofencing APIs: specify geospatial boundaries and provide notifications when a user crosses the boundary
- Maps APIs: add complex geospatial shapes such as polygons, images and markers to a MapField and create items that inform the MapField when their state has changed
- Travel Time API enhancement: allow users to find out the departure time needed to arrive at a location at a specific time based on current traffic conditions
- Unified Search enhancement: dynamically add or remove indexed keywords for an indexed object and use a single interface to provide "searchable data" to the Unified Search Service
- FM Radio APIs: allow applications to interact with the radio on BlackBerry smartphones with supporting hardware
- Profile APIs: create new device and contact profiles, query profiles, and get and set the active profile for the device or for a contact
Near Field Communication
Leverage the NFC capabilities of the BlackBerry smartphone to read and write NFC tags. With the API functionality available, you can access a secure element (JSR 177) for mobile commerce and loyalty apps, and include tag/Card emulation, and tag reading and writing in your app. Your app can also include support for NFC IT Policies.
The new NFC P2P APIs available in the BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 allow apps to transfer and share data between users with a "tap". Applications may hand over the connection to Bluetooth, so that larger files or data may be transferred over Bluetooth, rather than relying on NFC, which has a limited range. Content-based apps can leverage NFC P2P to share files and gaming apps may leverage NFC P2P to initiate multiplayer sessions through tapping two NFC-enabled devices together.
BlackBerry® Balance™ technology enables BlackBerry smartphones to be used for business and personal purposes without compromise. When connected to an organization's BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express1, specific IT policies along with features built into the device software2 help keep personal information separate and business information highly secure, allowing users to enjoy the fullest BlackBerry experience on a single device.
Get Advice from Other Developers
Ask questions in the
BlackBerry 10 Jam World Tour
23 Cities, 5 Continents, 3 Months,
1 Focus. Join us and be the first to
develop for BlackBerry® 10!
Distribute Your App through
BlackBerry App World
Bring your BlackBerry app
to the BlackBerry App
Requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express version 5.0.3 or later.
Requires a BlackBerry smartphone with a supported version of BlackBerry® Device Software version 6.0 or later. Check with your local wireless provider for more details.